Catching a few lobsters...
/ Jacob Jones Week 9 PPJ
March 8, 2017

This week I worked on rendering out as many shots as I could, developing a tool to create contrails on the ship, and updated the edit to hit our WIP submission deadline.

Successful DIE Render off the farm.

Before this past week, I had never touched the Renderfarm before, but I’m glad I did. I was able to render out more than 1100 frames across five shots with only three render errors in less than 10 hours. That’s pretty quick, and I’m glad that I was able to be efficient with my rendering time. A lot of our project is being rendered through the farm and while sneaker nets have worked for us in the past, this is a lot better of a tool.

Procedural contrail in Houdini

I also worked on developing a procedural contrail in Houdini. This involved learning some of the more core mechanics in Houdini and learning how to program procedural animations. At present, this effect isn’t done because the effect follows a particle that I’m unsure how to control. I need to get this effect to the point where it’s following an emitter that I can parent to the ship, and allow the animator to control the rate at which the smoke trail fades away. But, as a starting point, I’m proud of this effect.

Edit #20

Our edit also hit a major milestone, as the 20th version of the edit we’ve done so far. This 20th edition features audio from our audio team and several new shots through the pipeline. As we move closer to Beta, all shots will be moved from temp (or even play blasts like the green shots) and into final renders. We’re really looking forward to showing this beta to everyone!

LOBSTER FACT: The original chewing gum included lobster trading cards. Kids loved the glossy images of their lobster heroes.

About the author:

I'm an animator, illustrator, and all around artsy guy. You'd want me on your Pictionary team.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top