Catching a few lobsters...
/ Jacob Jones Week 5 PPJ
February 7, 2017

This week I spent a lot of time helping my team get ready for the mid-beta presentation. We knew, last week, that we wanted to put a fully-rendered presentation in front of the faculty, and despite some render issues we discovered after it was too late, we did get a brand new rendered cut in front of the class. Here’s how I helped get to where we are now.

1. Animation on CUB and LPO

I refined animation on CUB and LPO. Using feedback I had been given in previous meetings with my team, I reanimated these two shots. I feel like CUB ended up looking great and LPO still needs a little pizzazz. CUB is definitely approaching an animation lock but I still believe that LPO has a long way to go.

2. Updated Edit

I updated the edit including the implementation of the brand new DIE sequence. This sequence, the subject of a very long post, has been giving our project a lot of grief. I think we’re approaching a state of picture locking for the sequence, but we’re not there yet. (POST PRESENTATION EDIT: Okay, it didn’t work out well. There was a lot of shifting and nerves in this sequence, and I’m not trying to bore the audience. I’ll have to re-approach it.)

3. Die Composite

To match the color story Brendan made, I needed to bring the DIE renders into Nuke and composite them in-line. These five composites consisted of two major elements– the ship recoloring to a more blue-ish color, and a ethereal particle effect, generated by noise in Nuke. I used a consistent color grade across the shots to achieve the color I wanted, and changed parameters on the noise to try to keep a consistent scale across shots. Here’s an example of one of the composites:


4. Prepped Presentation

While this is still a pretty simple element on the presentation, it’s important to ensure that the images are well framed and picked to ensure visual consistency throughout the presentation. Creating this presentation also involved the creation of a new motion graphic title card. Here’s that title card:

 

LOBSTER FACT: 7-UP was introduced in 1929 with the original name “Lobster Lemon-Lime Liquid.”

About the author:

I'm an animator, illustrator, and all around artsy guy. You'd want me on your Pictionary team.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top